Sunday, August 10, 2014

Murchie Plus Books - July 27th to August 2nd

The premise: I love books. I love my dog. I've decided to photograph my dog in front of every book I read or listen to henceforth (except the stuff I get from Marvel Unlimited).

The photos: go live on Instagram as I take 'em and appear here in digest form once per week. Or twice, when I'm catching up. Maybe thrice, but no more than that.

A tiny, fuzzy grey poodle--Murchie--sitting some distance from an e-reader with the cover art for Night of Cake & Puppets displayed on it. The art shows a birdcage with the title superimposed over it at an angle, in distressed white font. The primary colours are shades of grey.

Having recently reread (well, relistened-to) Laini Taylor's DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE and DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT, I figured it was about time I went back and read NIGHT OF CAKE AND PUPPETS, a novella co-narrated by Zuzana and Mik.

I really, really love Zuzana and Mik.

The book had me grinning so hard my face hurt for ages after I'd finished it. Murchie, in contrast, was afraid to so much as sit beside my e-reader. I had to slowly push it across the floor towards him, then take the shot quick as I could.

Murchie sitting on a fuzzy, sheep-shaped pillow just behind an e-reader with the title page of Fool's Assassin visible on its screen. The page shows a black and white etching of a tower on a hill by a river, with the title in a white box on the right hand side of the screen.

He was much more sanguine about FOOL'S ASSASSIN by Robin Hobb, possibly because he sat on my lap (or curled up beside me in bed) for most of the previous thirteen books in the series. Murchie and Robin Hobb are old friends by now.

Or maybe he just feels particularly comfortable when he's bedded down on his sheep-shaped pillow.

I'll have a review of the book for you on August 12th, which is when it drops. Spoiler: I loved the hell out of it, despite some early WTFery. THE LAST 10% OMG.

Murchie standing on a bed beside an e-reader with cover of The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince displayed on its screen. The cover art depicts an indistinct young woman standing beside a horse mottled in black and white.

Having got on well with FOOL'S ASSASSIN, the little guy refused to lie next to THE WILLFUL PRINCESS AND THE PIEBALD PRINCE, which I suppose is evidence against my Murchie-likes-Robin-Hobb theory. At least he didn't run away, move his head at the wrong moment, or yawn. That's an improvement, right?

Murchie asleep on a bed beside a paperback copy of The Angel's Cut. The cover features the title against what is presumably a white wing.

He was the picture of calm when I asked him to pose by THE ANGEL'S CUT by Elizabeth Knox.

Or maybe I waited until he was sleeping and quietly placed the book behind him. Whichever.

I'm reading this one with Lynn. Sooner or later, I'll find enough mental energy to actually, like, e-mail her and get the discussion rolling. Them Robin Hobb reviews drained me, y'all.

Tomorrow: one final catch-up day in which Murchie steps out of the picture to make room for a special guest star. Will his temporary replacement prove more cooperative?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Murchie looks quite suspicious of The Willful Princess & the Piebald Prince. Adorable! But suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could probably sense how many animals were set to die in it. Murchie, as an animal, is particularly sensitive to these things.

      Delete